11 2003 24
Membership of Council.
11.—(1) The Council shall consist of the following members, that is to say—
(a) a chairperson, and
(b) 12 ordinary members,
each of whom shall, in the opinion of the Minister, have a special interest or knowledge in relation to the arts or matters connected with the functions of the Minister or the Council under this Act.
(2) The members of the Council shall be appointed by the Minister.
(3) The Minister shall, for the purposes of section 16 (2)(b), designate one of the ordinary members of the Council to be deputy chairperson of the Council.
(4) The chairperson of the Council shall hold office for 5 years from the date of his or her appointment.
(5) Subject to subsection (6), the ordinary members of the Council shall hold office for 5 years from the date of their appointment.
(6) Such 6 of the ordinary members of the Council first-appointed after the commencement of this section as the Minister determines shall hold office for 30 months.
(7) Of the members of the Council, not less than 6 of them shall be men and not less than 6 of them shall be women.
(8) Subject to subsection (9), a member of the Council whose term of office expires by the effluxion of time shall be eligible for reappointment to the Council.
(9) A person to whom subsection (8) applies shall not be eligible for reappointment to the Council where he or she has served 2 consecutive terms of office as a member of the Council.
(10) The members of the Council who held office immediately before the commencement of section 4 shall cease to hold office upon such commencement but any such member shall, subject to subsection (9), be eligible to be reappointed as a member of the Council under this section.
Print Previous Next
© Government of Ireland. Oireachtas Copyright Material is reproduced with the permission of the House of the Oireachtas Accessibility Statement | Privacy Statement | Disclaimer
Section 11 of the Arts Act 2003 , in which the Arts lost its independence.