Given that the Irish Times Books of the Year did not make mention of poetry books for 2011, I thought to add some links to Irish poetry presses and imprints for those readers of poetry who are not catered for in the list-system. I have to say that I do not think of such ephemera as dates when I approach a book of poetry and my reading included some 2010 volumes (and earlier). The beauty of poetry is that it is timeless and poetry books are always relevant. I am going to add links for some poetry publishers, and then some good online resources for readers and writers of poetry. I wonder how many of the books at link will survive the test of time ? (or even taste, ” So good, so funny, so real, so very, very sad” , is what amounts to review in the article).
Irish presses and poetry journals.
- The Gallery Press have an eminently worthwhile list of poets and writers, I am adding a link to their online catalogue for this and for previous years. http://www.gallerypress.com/wprs/shop/category/poetry/
- Dedalus Press is a vibrant and industrious publisher of Irish titles , their catalogue can be found here
- Salmon Press has a wonderful list of poets, and this year published Ann le Marquand Hartigan and Nuala Ní Chonchúir amongst other titles http://www.salmonpoetry.com/bookshop2.php?c2=2
- Cló iar-Chonnacht has an eclectic list of Irish Language artists, both musical and poetic, http://www.cic.ie/books.aspx for all ages of readers
I can add to this list Poetry Ireland , The SHOp Magazine , Moth (Little Editions) , Post (DCU) , Crannóg , Burning Bush , The Munster Literature Centre ( and SouthWord), The Western Writers Centre, Over the Edge, Tigh Filí , and The Irish Writer’s Centre . Online Poetry concerns include Writing.ie , Emerging Writer , Wurm in Apfel , Nuala Ní Chonchúir, and all of the above mentioned presses that use online as a source of income and connection for writers.
2011 bits and pieces.
I reviewed a few books this year and I have blogged these over the past twelve months, I liked Jeet Thayil‘s edition of Contemporary Indian Poetry and told him too, The moth magazine ‘Little Editions’ , Susan Lindsay’s ‘Whispering the Secrets, John Walsh’s ‘Chopping Wood with T.S Eliot, Human Chain by Seamus Heaney. I intend to get Memorial, by Alice Oswald and I will probably blog that too. AND this year 2011, I published some almost lost Doris Lessing Poems Here , in all a wonderful poetic year for me as a reader and writer.
This year saw the cutting of funds to Poetry Now ! and barely a whisper of protest in the media, and there was some controversy at the T.S Eliot Prize . My favourite story of the year had to be the restoration of Sue Hubbard’s ‘Eurydice’. The fourth annual Turn at Tara occurred, although some newspapers would rather not look at the wound created by rampant planning unbalanced by a single heritage and conservation bill in over a decade! Poetry happens in the most wonderful places , although these places are generally not full of literary liggers. Two wonderful editors had a spat, although Irish media coverage of same was void ,empty. I really do wonder if poetry loses importance due to the glitter and tinsel of PR management, and souped-up interest in disposable tales (the type that makes it to the charity-shops within three-four week periods of publication and sells for 1-2 Euros ?).
As is usual , I have to say that good poetry discussion occurs at Jacket2, UBUWEB, The Poetry Foundation , Salt , Anon. Pierre Joris’ Nomadics is an interesting site for those interested in translation and outsider poetics.
Other newspapers have published poetry lists for 2011.
- Boston Globe list http://bostonglobe.com/arts/books/2011/12/18/best-poetry-books/EMwDBZdDcYcbfbVNhLyh6L/story.html
- Independent, http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/features/poetry-songs-of-elegance-and-of-experience-6278591.html
- Guardian List http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/poetry
- And some New Yorker choices from 2011: http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/
- The Harriet Blog, 2011 list http://www.poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2011/12/the-poetry-foundation-staffs-favorite-books-of-2011/ (Poetry Foundation)
- and then there was this…..http://zito.biz/fuckyou/?p=2533 (Fuck You Blog)
- http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2011/12/the-year-in-reading-poetry.html (New Yorker 2011 Poetry List)
- http://www.npr.org/2011/12/29/144197310/truth-and-beauty-2011s-best-american-poetry?sc=tw&cc=share David Orr’s Selection of 2011 Poetry books
3 responses to “2011 poetry news, and online information for poets.”
Hi , I nominated and give you the Versatile Blogger award, because I enjoy reading all the different articles and poetry on your blog!
Thank you , because yesterday I had a real round of attacking mails on it ! These extended into my google+ account also.Though I have archived those pieces for later delectation.
You are very welcome. It is a real pleasure to visit your site . Thank you for putting such an interesting web site together.